If you have just purchased a new home or are about to purchase a new home, it is important that you have an electrical inspection done. Not all houses are wiring properly, and it is important to know the electrical issues with your home before you buy it so that you can have an electrical service out to repair any problems that might be present. There are a number of common electrical issues that home inspectors find that might be present in your future home.

Insufficient And Improper Wiring 

Roughly 20% of building inspectors find insufficient wiring to be a problem in the homes they inspect. This can include many things, including lack of proper electrical service itself, to safely hazards created by regular extension cord use. A low number of power outlets can make this a necessity in some homes in order to meet the power needs of current life, but relaying on extension cords can create dangerous and even life threatening situations, like the risk of fires starting. 

Reversed Polarity on Outlets 

Reversed polarity occurs when the hot and neutral wires on an outlet are connected in reverse. It's simple to fix by cutting off power at the circuit breaker and simply connecting the wires properly, but unaddressed it also creates a fire hazard.

Double Taps in the Breaker Box 

"Double taps" occur when more than one electrical line in a house are connected to only one circuit breaker in the breaker box. This again creates a fire hazard, in this case by overloading the circuit. In itself it is relatively easy to correct, inexpensively, by installing a twin breaker to alleviate the problem. 

Old Wiring 

In older homes, this is often the most commonly found problem during inspections. Wiring that was sufficient for a home's electrical load 30, 50, or 100 years ago just isn't sufficient for today's electrical needs, and often poses a fire risk. 

Perhaps the worst in this case is "knob and tube" wiring, which was commonly installed up to the 1930s, and is still commonly found in many older homes. In this situation, the wire itself is exposed, creating a constant risk as power runs through it, if only because it is an exposed, live wire. Besides the risk of fire, simply touching a live wire can lead to electrocution. The power needs of today increase that risk, as does overloading wiring never meant to handle such a high capacity of energy. Contact a business, such as Palmer Electric Inc., if you suspect problems in your home.   

Share